Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday - Fighting Off Startitis

I've been trying to resist startitis, which is has become much harder since YarnCon this past weekend. For instance, I discovered I have enough Seda Sock to knit the Elfe sweater, but I am trying not to cast on til I finish the cropped cardi I just started. Unfortunately, progress hasn't been swift because I keep getting distracted by other things - this is as far as I've gotten since casting on last Thursday:
Not a whole lot so see there! There is also the problem of some serious laddering near the cable panels, which I think is tied to how I'm increasing (I'm doing a m1 where you lift up the bar between the stitch you just worked and the stitch on the needle and knit through the back loop); this is also where there is a stitch marker AND a switch from knit to purl, so basically that is the trifecta of unappealing laddering, at least for me - I've always had this issue with my knit-to-purl transitions. The question is, should I frog and restart to try to fix the problem, or soldier on and hope that it will block out?

Since those as the kind of questions I apparently don't want to answer, I've been working on other things. For example, I cast on for a new sock design with some pretty Fleece Artist sock yarn that's been in my stash for several years now...hoping to have a salable PDF pattern by mid-summer, but I am historically very slow with these things. Rather than keeping it a total secret, I think I'll share my progress here as well as on the HBS Facebook page and my Instagram account.

Since I am dying to spin up my custom batt and Manx Loaghtan top from YarnCon, I have been working more diligently on the merino that has been in progress for the last month or so:

The only light at the end of the tunnel is the nearly-done Constitution Hall Scarf; over the weekend, I managed to begin the lace border, which means I am coming down the proverbial home stretch:
Of course, once the scarf is done, I plan to cast on for a baby hat for the Cutie Patootie KAL/CAL happening in the Green Mountain Spinnery Ravelry Group. There are prizes from both the Spinnery and Eucalan, plus I get a chance to use the skein of Cotton Comfort I bought from their January sale AND knit a pattern from one of the books in my library - a challenge I've made for 2013 that I don't think I've blogged about yet.
More or less, I want to see how many projects I can make from books on my shelf (and if I can destash along the way, that's just the icing on the cake!). Ideally, I'd make at least one project from every book I have; I suppose if I don't make something from a particular title, that probably means it's a good candidate for selling back (though I've already thinned the herd considerably during my last burst of spring cleaning). At any rate, I've been keeping track of my progress so that I can give a full report at the end of the year, if not sooner!

Thanks for stopping by this week. For more WIP Wednesday inspiration, visit the Tami's Amis Blog!


Comments

  1. Hee, I've basically given in and accepted my own startitis, though I still have a big list of things to be cast on too. Financing everything at once is a bit impractical so my 5(!) current projects will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't get spring fever so much as spring startitis!!

      Delete
  2. Lots of interesting projects! Your Constitution scarf is very interesting and I think it will look great when finished. I also like the Elfe sweater and I added it to my favorites. A great project for sock yarn - looking forward to seeing your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great! There is nothing wrong with startitis particularly if you can get a case of finishitis at the right moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, "HELLO" fellow Chicago knitter. I didn't make it to YarnCon this year, but from your pictures, it looks like it's grown considerably from its inception. I'll have to make sure I get there next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has gotten much bigger and better (though it was always awesome) in the past few years! We should do a Chicago Blogger meetup next year!

      Delete
  5. Loving the single on the bobbin do you knit with singles or ply?
    Love all your projects nothing wrong with having a choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually ply them, so far I've just done 2-ply, but maybe this year I'll give 3-ply a try!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't frog it out, just soldier on and hope that blocking fixes it...and if it doesn't tell everyone it's a feature!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b